Health officials aren’t sounding the alarm about Toronto’s civic strike, so residents shouldn’t expect the province to legislate an end to the dispute any time soon, Premier Dalton McGuinty said yesterday.
A 2002 strike came to an end with legislation, but McGuinty said that at that time there had been an advisory from health officials urging government action.
“To my knowledge, we have not received any advice that there’s a need for us to act,” McGuinty said, adding the government is under no strict deadline to force a resolution to the 15-day-old strike.
“We still think that the best thing for all of us to do is to encourage the parties to remain at the table and do what they can to resolve this.”
Trash collectors are among about 24,000 inside and outside municipal workers who walked off the job June 22, bringing garbage pickup to a halt and closing many city-run programs and services.
To handle growing piles of waste, the city opened more than 20 parks as temporary drop-off sites, and on Sunday, public health officials began spraying pesticides on one of the smelliest sites — a downtown park.
In Windsor, Ont., city workers have been on strike for nearly three months.
McGuinty urged patience, saying a provincial mediator is working with both sides.