Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Medics escape CO home

<p>Quick-thinking actions of eight emergency workers got them out of a carbon monoxide-filled home that claimed the lives of an elderly couple Wednesday night.</p>

Carbon monoxide claims two lives



Robin Kuniski/For Metro Calgary


Breanne Haddon and Adam Loria, paramedics with Calgary EMS, were two of eight emergency workers treated for carbon monoxide inhalation late Wednesday night.





Quick-thinking actions of eight emergency workers got them out of a carbon monoxide-filled home that claimed the lives of an elderly couple Wednesday night.





Two paramedics, two police officers and four firefighters responded to the home in the 4100 block of 37 St. N.W. Wednesday evening and found an elderly man in cardiac arrest.





Adam Loria, a paramedic for three and a half years, was one of the first on scene and said once he saw the couple’s son fall unconscious, he and the other emergency workers felt ill.





“We started getting dizzy and feeling uneasy, and we noticed the son fall unconscious. We kind of looked around and said something isn’t right and got our patients out of there,” Loria told Metro.





Loria said the hardest part was to continue working while they had carbon monoxide poisoning until backup could come.





“You kind of just think for a second and the rest just comes naturally. You just have to do your job again and do what you were trained to,” he said, adding he has never been his own patient before.





The eight were treated on scene and the son of the deceased couple remains in hospital in stable condition.





EMS chief Tom Sampson told reporters while it was fortunate the emergency workers were able to evacuate the building in time, it’s a sad turn of events.





“It is a very tragic situation and we send our condolences to the family. It’s really sad especially around the Christmas season and our hearts go out to the family,” Sampson said.





“The emergency crew who responded was well-trained and acted quickly when they realized something was wrong and were able to save their own lives.”





The source of the carbon monoxide was a car running in the garage.



Krista Sylvester/Metro Calgary



krista.sylvester@metronews.ca

 
 
You Might Also Like