Greek Pasta Bake
• 1/2 lb (250 g) ground beef
• 1/2 lb (250 g) ground lamb
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 3 tsp (15 ml) dried oregano
• 1 tsp (5 ml) dried basil
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) dried thyme
• 1 can (14 oz /398 ml) tomato sauce
• 1 can (14 oz /398 ml) diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
• 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground cinnamon
• 2 cups (500 ml) uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
• 4 oz (113 g) feta cheese, crumbled
In large skillet, cook beef and lamb over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in onion, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and thyme; mix well. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes and lemon juice.
Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Stir into meat mixture. Transfer to greased 2-qt. (2 l) baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
Cover and bake at 325 F (160 C) 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Mediterranean Chicken with Olives
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) olive oil
• 2 onions, roughly chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh rosemary
• 1/4 oz (40 g) chorizo sausage, skinned and diced
• 2 large red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
• 1/3 cup (75 ml) sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
• 14 oz (398 ml) can chopped tomatoes
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) dry white wine
• 4 skinless chicken breast fillets or large thighs
• 1/3 cup (75 ml) pitted olives (black, green or both)
Heat oil in large, heavy flameproof casserole dish or deep frying pan. Add onions, garlic and rosemary and cook gently, stirring frequently, 15 minutes until soft and golden.
Add chorizo and peppers and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for a couple of minutes or until sausage turns slightly golden.
Add sun-dried tomatoes, canned tomatoes with their juice and wine. Season with freshly ground black pepper, then stir well and bring to simmer.
Add chicken and stir to coat with sauce. Bring to boil, then reduce heat so sauce simmers. Cover and cook 25–30 minutes until chicken is tender and sauce is thick.
Just before serving, stir in pitted olives and cook just long enough to heat through.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Greek Pasta Bake