When using very fresh corn on the cob, it is not necessary to cook the kernels for this colourful summer salad, which makes a fabulous entree or side dish for a warm evening's meal.
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
• 500 ml (2 cups) orzo pasta
• 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) small broccoli florets
• 500 ml (2 cups) fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
• 250 ml (1 cup) each diced sweet red and orange peppers
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) pitted black olives, halved
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) diced red onion
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) shredded fresh basil
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) chopped fresh parsley
• 75 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
• 45 ml (3 tbsp) white wine vinegar
• 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
• 1 ml (1/4 tsp) hot pepper flakes
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook orzo, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes. Add broccoli and cook until broccoli is tender and pasta is al dente, about 1 minute.
2. Drain well and refresh under cold running water; drain again. Return to pot or large bowl.
3. Gently stir in corn, red and orange peppers, olives, onion, basil and parsley.
4. In a measuring cup, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, hot pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
5. Pour over salad and toss gently. (Salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 hours. Bring out to room temperature 30 minutes before serving.)