- Oil for greasing
- 2/3 lb (300 g) lean ground lamb
- 2/3 lb (300 g) lean ground pork
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried Italian herb mix, or mixed herbs
- 1 small egg
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) (85g) fresh breadcrumbs
- Salt and black pepper
- A few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1–2 tsp (10 ml) chili powder
- 1 small red pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 oz (85 g) button mushrooms
- 1/4 lb (110 g) mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 lb (110 g) cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Lightly oil 10-in. (25-cm) pizza sheet or baking pan.
2. Put meat into bowl. Add herbs, then stir in egg, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and good splash of Worcestershire sauce. Mix well together.
3. Press mixture evenly onto pizza sheet, or put onto baking tray and shape into 10-in. (25-cm) round. Cook burger in oven for 15–20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in frying pan. Peel and chop onion and garlic. Add to oil and fry until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder and remove from heat.
5. Rinse pepper and tomatoes and clean mushrooms. Deseed and dice pepper, then slice tomatoes and mushrooms. Cut mozzarella into thin slices and grate cheddar.
6. Remove burger from oven and drain off liquid; increase oven temperature to 425 F (220 C).
7. Spread onion mixture over burger. Add pepper, tomatoes and mushrooms. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese melts. Serve in wedges with crusty bread, salad and ketchup.
For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to rd.ca or check out Key Ingredients in this month’s Reader’s Digest, on newsstands now!