Mindy Weiss, wedding planner to the stars, is one of the best in the business -- she's thrown celebrations for everyone from Fergie and Josh Duhamel to Katy Petty and Russell Brand to Lala Vasquez and Carmelo Anthony. We asked Weiss for tips to make sure your celebration runs as smoothly as the one she plans for, say J.Lo. Now go be a diva about your cake.
What is the one thing couples should splurge on?
Photography -- it's the only thing you have left after the big day.
- PHOTOS: Filipino devotees nailed to crosses to re-enact crucifixion4 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Memorial spotlights the man behind Nipsey Hussle rap persona14 Pictures
What is something couples should save on?
I always say couples can save by skipping a champagne toast. Let everyone toast with what they are drinking. A glass of wine goes further than a sip of champagne.
What makes a successful wedding?
If the bride and groom are in love and stick together during the evening, that warmth spreads throughout. If the bride and groom don't dance or don't look like they are enjoying the day, then the energy just drags.
What advice can you offer brides who can't hire a wedding planner?
1. Figure out a budget before you start hiring vendors or sign a contract for the location.
2. Ask your friends who have already planned a wedding to suggest vendors with whom they have had a positive experience.
3. Gather inspiration and ideas from all the fabulous wedding websites and create an inspiration board.
4. Keep your sense of humor! And remember it is really all about saying 'I do' and marrying the partner of your dreams.
More from Mindy
Even if you can’t hire Mindy to pick out flowers with you, you can still have her by your side. The wedding guru created an all-in-one binder full of advice, everything from figuring our your budget to booking your DJ.