The Puzzle Project
Sep 9-Oct 9, TYPE Books
An eclectic mix of artists brings the vision of Nelson Mandela to life — or rather, art — as their individual pieces are patched together to form a final jigsaw puzzle. Mon-Sat 10am-6pm; Sun 11am-6pm. Free. 883 Queen W. 416-366-8973. www.puzzle-project.org
Through The Leaves
Sep 10-Oct 3, Tarragon Theatre
Munich born Frank Xaver Kroetz’s works are among the most frequently performed of any German playwright. With the recurrent theme of broken communication and alienation prevalent in most his works, Kroetz’s intense drama Through the Leaves depicts the story of a troubled love affair between a female butcher and her abusive partner. 8pm. $20-$40. 30 Bridgman. www.companytheatre.ca
Single White Douche
Sep 9-11 & 16-18, Buddies In Bad Times Theatre
Shawn Hitchins, the self-proclaimed “fiery ginger,” is back for another soul-bearing performance with his latest musical production Single White Douche. 8pm. $10. 12 Alexander.
TIFF Future Projections and The Essential Cinema
Sep 9-19, various venues
Using more media than you might expect, TIFF is holding art events called Future Projections across the city, including works and appearances by artists such as Michael Nyman, Ming Wong, Stan Douglas and Perry Bard. The exhibitions are inspired by TIFF’s list of “Essential 100” movies to watch and are related to the Essential Cinema exhibition at the Bell Lightbox,Future Projections at various locations; Bell Lightbox at 330 King W. Free. 416-968-3456. www.tiff.net
With Irgo, Matt Coleridge, Matt Gleeson.
Sat, Sep 11. Footwork, 425 Adelaide W. $20.
For close to two decades, Britain’s Jamie Odell, a.k.a. Jimpster, has finessed a four-four sound that combines depth with a genuine sense of fun. Odell has released three full-lengths and dozens of EPs, including the 2006 smash Square Up and back-to-back 2008 burners Dangly Panther and Sleeper.
Sat, Sep 11. Wrongbar, 1279 Queen W. $20 Sheffield’s Tom Bell, a.k.a. Toddla T, is all about the bass and the bounce. Releasing since 2007, he favours rough ragga vocals, bashment-friendly breaks and swaggering melodies. Here, he co-headlines with the Ed Banger massive.
The Puzzle Project
Latest From ...
- Whoopi Goldberg tells de Blasio that bike lanes are 'screwing' up NYCRally at Sony Music HQ calls on RCA Records to drop R. KellyEntertainment
- PHOTOS: Justin Trudeau looks just like this 29-year-old singer from Afghanistan5 things we learned about HBO's Brexit movieLifestyle
- Apple's Live Listen feature can let you hear conversations from a distanceHow your slow cooker saves you moneySports
- Should Eagles re-sign Golden Tate?NBA trade rumors: Sixers looking at Taurean Prince
- Whoopi Goldberg tells de Blasio that bike lanes are 'screwing' up NYCRally at Sony Music HQ calls on RCA Records to drop R. KellyEverything you need to know about NYC's two Women's March eventsPHOTOS: Justin Trudeau looks just like this 29-year-old singer from Afghanistan5 things we learned about HBO's Brexit movieStar Trek: Discovery season 2 cast and crew talk Spock's arrivalApple's Live Listen feature can let you hear conversations from a distance