This simple pasta dish was my primo piatto, or first course while in Sorrento, Italy, a beautiful town where you can look across the bay and see the island of Capri.
Small portions are perfect for a first course, but this has enough vegetables to satisfy your family for a full dinner.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- Here's what it's like to fish for your dinner at Zauo NYC (photos) 21 Pictures
• 1 small eggplant (about 8 oz/250 g)
• 2 small zucchini (about 12 oz/375 g total)
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) extra virgin olive oil
• 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable stock
• 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 box (375 g) whole wheat fusilli pasta
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Slice eggplant into thin slices; stack and cut into matchstick size pieces. Cut zucchini into matchstick-size pieces.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and cook, stirring, for about 6 minutes or until beginning to turn golden. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add zucchini, tomatoes and garlic; cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes or until zucchini and eggplant are tender but firm and sauce is slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook fusilli for about 10 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain and return to the pot. Add sauce and cheese; toss to coat. Variation: Try using carrots, broccoli, cherry tomatoes or other favourite vegetables to make up your own vegetable creation.