This recipe is a dinnertime favourite at many tables. However, it is one for which some people use a can of soup. By making your own pan sauce, you help to reduce sodium and create flavour that is still big.
Mushroom Gravy Chicken
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb/450 g)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb (500 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sodium reduced chicken broth
1. In small bowl combine Italian herb seasoning, dried basil, black and hot pepper; set aside. Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally to get 4 pieces. Sprinkle herb mixture evenly on both sides of chicken.
2. In large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium high heat and brown breasts on both sides for about 5 minutes and remove to plate. Add onion, mushrooms and thyme and cook, stirring for about 10 minutes or until softened and golden. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Pour in stock and bring to the boil, stirring. Return chicken to the skillet and simmer, turning occasionally for about 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- PHOTOS: Celebrities attend 'Avengers: Endgame' premiere in Los Angeles29 Pictures
- PHOTOS: This Pakistani waiter looks just like Peter Dinklage8 Pictures
• Emily Richards is a professional home economist, cookbook author and a tv celebrity chef. For more, visit emilyrichardscooks.ca.