Mocha Tortoni Mousse
2 large egg whites
30 ml (2 tbsp) instant coffee
50 ml (1/4 cup) sugar
500 ml (2 cups) whipping cream
10 ml (2 tsp) vanilla
125 ml (1/2 cup) sugar
50 ml (1/4 cup) slivered almonds, toasted and cooled, plus extra for garnish
60 g (2 oz) bittersweet chocolate, grated
To roast nuts: Roast in a single layer on a baking sheet in a 180 C (350 F) oven for about 10 minutes. Allow them to get light brown, remove and cool.
• In a clean medium bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add instant coffee and salt and beat until combined. Gradually add 50 ml (1/4 cup) sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
• In a separate bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Beat in vanilla and 125 ml (1/2 cup) sugar. Fold in 50 ml (1/4 cup) slivered almonds and transfer to a large glass bowl or individual glasses and freeze at least 2 hours.
• Garnish with remaining slivered almonds and grated chocolate.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- There's fanfic at The Met and it's all because of the Tale of Genji21 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures