The Halifax Mooseheads are hosting the Cape Breton Screaming
Eagles for Game 2 of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League quarter-finals.
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
The Mooseheads lead the series 1-0 after a 4-2 win on
* Jakub Voracek is still suffering from the after-effects of
a viral infection he had early in the week, and may not be back to 100 per cent
until Game 3.
* There haven’t been any scoring chances through four
minutes, but the Screaming Eagles have a couple of shots and are doing a good
job pressuring the Mooseheads’ defence corps as it tries to advance the puck.
* The Screaming Eagles get tagged with a
too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty at 4:40, giving the Mooseheads a great chance
to take control.
* The Mooseheads are putting a pile of pressure on Olivier
Roy in the first minute of the power play, including several decent scoring
* Brad Marchand just stickhandled 1-on-3 and somehow wiggled
his way in alone on Olivier Roy, but Roy
somehow kept the puck out. Marchand looks fired up again after a first-star
performance on Friday. The Eagles took a minor penalty on the play, giving Halifax a 22-second
* GOAL HFX (1-0 Hfx) Just nine seconds into the
two-man advantage, the Mooseheads feed Jakub Voracek about 10 feet inside the
blue line and he uncorks a one-timer that Olivier Roy can’t suck in. Bryce Swan
lurks on the doorstep and knocks it in for his ninth tally of the playoffs at
Breton’s early penalty
trouble has the Mooseheads outshooting the Screaming Eagles 11-2 through 8:42.
It’s good for the Mooseheads that they have the early momentum and bad for the
Eagles that they keep heading to the box.
* Mooseheads goalie Mark Yetman just made a huge glove grab
on the trailer, Murdock MacLellan, on a rebound after a good Screaming Eagles
* GOAL HFX (2-0 Hfx) The Mooseheads make it 2-0
with 5:14 to go in the period when Peter-James Corsi steps over the line and
cranks a slap shot from between the tops of the faceoff circles and beats Olivier Roy cleanly.
* GOAL CB (2-1 Hfx) Ryan Hillier takes a costly hooking
penalty moments after the Corsi goal and the Screaming Eagles make him pay.
Robert Slaney takes a backdoor pass from Jordan Clendenning and beats Mark
Yetman with 4:37 to go.
* GOAL CB (2-2) On his way out of the penalty box,
Hillier chirps an official and ends up getting an unsportsmanlike conduct call.
For the second straight time, Hillier’s in the box when the Screaming Eagles
score. Slaney bags his second goal in 45 seconds as he takes a pass in the slot
and beats Yetman with a high, quick shot.
* The coaching staff isn’t going to look kindly on Hillier’s
actions, as his penalties cost his team a valuable two-goal lead. Head coach
Cam Russell benched four players in Game 4 of Round 1 for dumb penalties, so
don’t be surprised if Hillier --- who signed with the New York Rangers last
week --- rides the pine for a long time.
* The Mooseheads appear to be getting under Olivier Roy’s
skin, which is a good sign. Roy cross-checks Corsi --- leading to a 59-second,
two-man advantage --- and then starts beaking Bryce Swan during a stoppage in
* The Mooseheads outshot the Screaming Eagles 15-8 in the
first period but the score is 2-2. Ryan Hillier didn’t see the ice after Cape Breton’s
* Ryan Hillier gets his first shift a minute in, so not much
in the way of consequences after he took back-to-back penalties in the first
* Dean Ouellet and Chris Culligan get what is basically a
2-on-0, but Mark Yetman does the splits to make an outstanding save and keep
the score tied.
* If Ryan Hillier’s out of the doghouse, he’s got to be back
in it. He just took his third minor penalty of the game at 4:14, this one a
* Beau Prokopetz just flipped Brad Marchand with a huge
* Olivier Roy absolutely robs Brad Marchand with a great,
tumbling grab, as Marchand cut in front on his backhand, spun to his forehand
and fired a sharp-angle shot. Moments later, Roy robs Colby Pridham on a one-timer from
the hash marks.
* Olivier Roy is starting to put on a real clinic for the
Eagles. He’s quick, but he’s also smart, and is great positionally. There’s no
telling how high his stock will climb in the 2009 NHL draft, but some scouts
are talking top-10 range.
* If you haven’t noticed Mathieu Brodeur yet, look for big
No. 2. He’s a 6-foot-5, 190-pounder playing on the top pairing at age 17, and
is holding his own against the line of Brad Marchand, Ryan Hillier and
Peter-James Corsi. He doesn’t get a lot of attention, but he’s going to make a
good NHL pick for whoever drafts him in June.
* It’s been a hard-fought period both ways. No scoring yet,
but a real treat to watch.
* GOAL HFX (3-2 Hfx) Marchand makes a great play to
start a rush from his own blue line, gains the offensive zone, and feeds
Peter-James Corsi for a slap shot from the faceoff circle. It’s Corsi’s second
of the game and sixth of the playoffs, and Marchand is once again the straw
that stirs the drink for Halifax.
* Brad Marchand just made another outstanding play,
generating what basically became a 2-on-1 and feeding Ryan Hillier cross-crease
for a great chance.
* The Mooseheads just scored on a great play by Logan
MacMillan, as he fed Colby Pridham for a wide-open net. But the goal was
overruled because MacMillan apparently interfered with the goaltender, and he
ends up in the box. It didn’t appear to be a great call, as MacMillan was
clearly pushed into Roy.
* GOAL CB (3-3) The Screaming Eagles convert on
another power play, and Robert Slaney does it again. Dean Ouellet storms in off
the wing and feeds a driving Slaney, and things are all tied up once again.
This could prove to be a huge turning point.
* The MacMillan play has to sting the Mooseheads. In fact,
they’ve played a very strong game and penalties are the only thing keeping Cape Breton
in it. But the Eagles are an opportunistic bunch, and hang around until given a
chance to pounce.
* Shots are 28-21 for Halifax
after two periods. It’s 3-3, and we could be in store for an entertaining
finish. The Herd has a power play for 1:29 to start the third.
* The Mooseheads don’t score on the period-opening power
play, but they get another 1:37 in when Robert Slaney high sticks Jakub
* GOAL Hfx (4-3 Hfx) Ben MacAskill gets a pass from
Brad Marchand in the faceoff circle and beats Olivier Roy on a fairly innocent
play at 8:37.
* GOAL Hfx (5-3 Hfx) The
Mooseheads shorten their bench and go with a new-look third line of Bryce Swan,
Tomas Knotek and Andrew White, and it pays. White skates off the boards with
the puck and sets up Swan in front for a two-goal cushion with 13:41 remaining.
The Moose are in the driver’s seat now
* Swan has 10 goals in just eight
playoff games. The 20-year-old has equaled his goal total from the past three
playoff runs combined, a 34-game stretch.
* Mark Yetman kicked out a lightning-quick left pad to deny
Vincent Lavigueur on a one-timer. He’s been solid for most of the night.
* GOAL CB (5-4 Hfx) The Mooseheads can’t contain
the Robert Slaney-Chris Culligan duo on a rush. Slaney storms in on Halifax
defence’s and puts a backhand on Mark Yetman, who stops the puck, but Culligan
slides in the rebound at 12:53. Slaney now has a helper to go along with a hat
trick in an extremely strong performance.
* Andrew Bodnarchuk is in the box with 4:38 to go for
* Dean Ouellet goes to the box for a slash just 34 seconds
later, after he breaks Justin Pender’s stick with a heavy, obvious whack.
* Robert Slaney had a couple of great power-play chances for
his fourth of the night, but Mark Yetman was up to the task with a couple of
pad saves. He later whipped out the left pad on Joey Haddad and is making some
* The Mooseheads do an outstanding job in the final 80
seconds to keep the Screaming Eagles from gaining the zone and generating
pressure for the equalizer.
* The Mooseheads again get the job done in the third period
to skate away with a 5-4 victory. Final shots were 34-33 for Halifax, and Brad Marchand was the first star
for the second straight night. Robert Slaney and Mark Yetman were second and