The Halifax Mooseheads are hosting the Cape Breton Screaming
Eagles tonight at the Metro Centre for Game 5 of the QMJHL best-of-seven
* The Mooseheads get in a world of trouble early, when Ryan
Hillier and Brad Marchand give the Screaming Eagles more than three minutes of
power-play time, including a 41-second two-man advantage. Mark Yetman makes
some outstanding stops in the Mooseheads goal and Joey Haddad rang one off the
* GOAL HFX (1-0 Hfx) The Mooseheads score 5:59 in,
and it’s going to be a real tough one for the Screaming Eagles to swallow.
Logan MacMillan puts one past Olivier Roy on a broken play after a number of
golden scoring chances at the other end.
* GOAL CB (1-1) The Screaming Eagles don’t seem
fazed at all, and come right back the other way after breaking up an errant
breakout pass by Guillaume Monast. Chris Culligan gets in on a 2-on-0 and holds
on to beat a helpless Yetman at 8:14.
* The Mooseheads’ defence corps has been a little bit
sluggish in the opening period, and the Screaming Eagles have had the edge in
the work department thus far.
* The Mooseheads used Jakub Voracek on a line with Ryan
Hillier and Peter-James Corsi at one point during the period. It’s not clear
yet if this is a permanent move.
* Vincent Lavigueur, who has been skating on Cape Breton’s
top line, took a Ben MacAskill shot off the foot and hobbled off.
* The Mooseheads get a great chance with about 90 seconds to
go when Colby Pridham picks up a mishandled puck in the Cape Breton
zone and feeds Jakub Voracek all alone with a cross-crease pass. Olivier Roy
makes a great stop.
* The first period went how must of the series went, back
and forth. Halifax
was the better team in the final eight minutes, and had a 14-11 edge in shots.
* Mooseheads star Jakub Voracek continues to look less than
his usually dominating self, and just left the ice three minutes in kneeled
over in a great deal of pain. He managed to return a couple of minutes later
for his regular shift.
* GOAL HFX (2-1 Hfx) With Dean Ouellet in the box,
Ryan Hillier makes good on the power play, skating from behind the goal line
and ripping a bullet shot past Olivier Roy’s blocker side. It’s Hillier’s
seventh goal of the playoffs.
* The Mooseheads run over Olivier Roy at the 7:34 mark. He’s
down on the ice and receives medical attention for several minutes. The
16-year-old stays in the net, but looks quite woozy. It will be interesting to
see how he responds.
* Brad Marchand makes a great play to get around a defender
and in alone on a breakaway, but Roy
stretches out for a great glove grab. Roy
looks to be favouring his groin after the play, and looks far less than 100 per
* Nicolas Chouinard absolutely hammers Tomas Knotek with a high
hit, sending the rookie off in pain. Moments later, Andrew White is called for
tripping, giving the Screaming Eagles a chance to even things up.
* Logan MacMillan takes another penalty with 8:04 left,
giving the Screaming Eagles an even better chance to score --- a two-man
advantage for 1:17.
* The Eagles can’t capitalize and end up in the box
themselves just more than a minute later, when Robert Slaney hooks Ryan Hillier
on a partial breakaway.
* GOAL HFX (3-1 Hfx) Olivier Roy does everything he
can to keep the Mooseheads at bay, but he can only do so much. He makes a
marvellous save on a partial breakaway by Brad Marchand, but Ryan Hillier is
there to pounce on the rebound. Hillier’s got eight goals now, this one with
just 32.7 seconds remaining in the period.
* Mark Yetman closes out the period with a brilliant glove
save with 5.6 seconds to go.
* The Mooseheads have a 29-20 edge in shots, and are in a
comfortable position to close out the series. All it will take is a calm,
composed effort in the third. There hasn’t been a two-goal lead after 40
minutes once in this hard-fought series.
* The Mooseheads withstood a couple of minutes of early pressure
by the Screaming Eagles, who are playing like a team with its season on the
* The Screaming Eagles are giving it everything they’ve got,
but the Mooseheads are dealing with the pressure well. They’ve worked hard in
their own zone and Mark Yetman continues to sparkle with key saves every time
there is a letdown.
Breton’s Jan Piskacek
takes a minor penalty with about nine minutes to go, which should take a bite
out of any comeback bid. It also gives the Mooseheads a great opportunity to
bury the game and the series.
* The Mooseheads are 5:25 away from winning the series 4-1.
* GOAL CB (3-2 Hfx) Dean Ouellet pulls the Eagles
to within one with 3:07 to go, firing a shot from the bottom of the faceoff
circle that deflects off of Chris Culligan and in. Cape Breton
has life, and time, to extend this series one more game. A six-minute video
review gives the Eagles’ top guns --- used extensively all series --- a chance
to rest up for one last burst to the finish.
* Olivier Roy makes a terrific glove grab on Peter-James
Corsi from the slot with about two minutes to go to keep his team within a
* A key faceoff win by Peter-James Corsi kills more than 40
of the final 80 seconds and prevents the Screaming Eagles from setting up in
the offensive zone.
* GOAL HFX (4-2 Hfx) Colby Pridham scores an
empty-netter with 27.7 seconds to go.
* GOAL HFX (5-2 Hfx) Brad Marchand adds another empty-netter
at the buzzer.
* It’s a 5-2 final for the
Mooseheads and a 4-1 series victory. Mark Yetman is the first star --- he had a
quietly brilliant series --- Ryan Hillier the second with a pair of goals, and
Screaming Eagles rookie Olivier Roy the third. The Herd advances to the
semifinals against the winner of the Gatineau-Quebec series.