No matter which part of the country you’re in, everyone can agree that this summer has been hot!
We shouldn’t complain, really, given the weather we’ve had the past few summers, but we do anyway. On the days that your shoes seem to stick to the sidewalk, the last thing you want to do is turn on an oven and transform your kitchen into a sweltering inferno all for the sake of supper. So, try a cool salad instead!
We’ve been bowled over by the popularity of our Moroccan Quinoa Salad. Maybe that’s because quinoa is the grain du jour, and no wonder: It’s incredibly versatile, easy to make (it’s cooked like rice) and is so healthy — it’s full of protein, vitamins and minerals.
Prep time: 10 min.
Cooking: 10 min.
• 3 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup dried)
• 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp sugar
• 1-1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed
• 1-1/2 cup corn kernels (about 2 cobs) or defrosted frozen
• 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
• 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
• 1/4 cup chopped green or black olives
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
1. Cook quinoa, according to package instructions. While quinoa is cooking, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, salt and sugar into a vinaigrette in a small bowl.
2. Combine quinoa and all remaining ingredients, except fresh herbs, into a medium-sized bowl.
3. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least one hour to allow flavours to combine. Add fresh herbs just prior to serving. May be served at room temperature.