Garden greens are abundant throughout the summer and into early fall. A variety makes this salad interesting, both in texture and colour.
“When mixed with fresh nectarines and finished with a zesty dressing, it comes alive and tickles the senses,” says chef Mark Picone of Vineland, Ont., in the Niagara Region.
Suggested wine pairing: Riesling from the Niagara Peninsula.
Chef’s tip: If desired, substitute 500 g (1 lb) of pre-washed spring mix for the lettuces. You can also substitute sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar for the icewine vinegar.
• 1 red chili, finely chopped
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
• 45 ml (3 tbsp) icewine vinegar
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) maple syrup
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) freshly chopped mint
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) snipped chives
• Sea salt, to taste
• 1 Boston bibb lettuce, washed and dried
• 1 romaine lettuce, washed and dried
• 1 red leaf lettuce, washed and dried
• 3 nectarines, cut into wedges
• 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Preparation for dressing
In a small bowl, combine ingredients and set aside.
Preparation for salad
Tear lettuces into bite-sized pieces and place in a large salad bowl. Add nectarines and onion. Whisk dressing, pour over greens and toss lightly. Serve on cold salad plates.