Neighbour suing Russell Williams, police after being suspected in crimes
PETERBOROUGH, Ont. - A neighbour of convicted sex killer RussellWilliams is suing him, the police and one of the victims after he waswrongfully implicated in the crimes.
PETERBOROUGH, Ont. - A neighbour of convicted sex killer Russell Williams is suing him, the police and one of the victims after he was wrongfully implicated in the crimes.
Larry Jones has launched a nearly $1.6-million lawsuit for the emotional and mental stress he suffered when he was suspected of committing several break-ins and sexual assaults in the Tweed, Ont., area.
Court documents show Williams himself is being sued for failing to notify the police that he was the real attacker, responsible for “the atrocious attacks on multiple females” as well as break-ins in the area north of Belleville that Jones was accused of.
As a result, the suit alleges, Jones was subjected to four months of intense police investigation, beginning with what he described as a humiliating interrogation.
The court documents say Jones came home on Oct. 29, 2009, to find 10 to 12 police cars at his home and about 25 police searching its contents.
The documents say he was taken in for questioning.
“Jones was subjected to an intense 3 1/2-hour interrogation at the Madoc OPP detachment,” the documents allege. “The interrogation was humiliating, involved fingerprinting and DNA samples. At the conclusion of the interview, Jones was told to call his wife to pick him up from the detachment.”
The documents say his wife, Bonnie Jones, “was escorted to an interview room where she was then the subject to 45 minutes of questioning where she was interrogated on intimate details of the sexual relationship that she had with Larry Jones, her husband of over 40 years.”
“The questioning probed into whether Bonnie Jones and Jones participated in bondage,” the documents say.
The lawsuit also alleges a neighbour who was a victim of Williams had wrongfully identified Jones's voice as that of her assailant.
The documents state that the victim, Laurie Massicotte, was attacked in her home by Williams on or about Sept. 30, 2009.
The documents also claim a disparity between Massicotte's description of her attacker and Jones.
“She identified her attacker as follows: a) not a tall or big person; b) between 30 to 40 years of age; c) she believed that she may have heard the voice of the attacker before; and d) the attacker's voice was intentionally disguised,” the documents say.
According to the documents, on Sept. 30, 2009, Jones “could be described as follows: a) 65 years of age; b) five feet nine inches tall; and c) overweight, weighing approximately 215 lbs.”
Jones later passed a polygraph test conducted Nov. 16 by Det. Sgt. Peter Donnelly, the court documents state, adding Donnelly told Jones he was no longer the subject of investigation.
“Sorry about all this, you have been cleared 100 per cent, go home, put your feet up and have a cold beer,” the documents say Donnelly told Jones.
But the documents state: “The investigation of Jones as a suspect in the incident involving Massicotte remained ongoing until the arrest and charge of Williams on or about February 7, 2010.
The lawsuit contains allegations not proven in court. OPP and Massicotte could not immediately be reached for comment.
Massicotte, who has spoken publicly about her ordeal as a victim, has also launched a suit against police in connection with the case.
Williams, a former base commander of Canadian Forces Base Trenton, is serving two life sentences after pleading guilty to 88 charges last year, including the murders of Cpl. Marie-France Comeau and Jessica Lloyd.
The court documents say Williams was the next-door neighbour of Jones on a quiet residential street, with their residences about 11 metres apart.