10190 104 Street
Signature Drink: Zonte’s Footstep Shiraz Viognier ($11.15)
Signature Dish: 6 oz. Filet Mignon ($24)
Dinner & drinks for 2: $80
With a six-foot-two, blond artist on my arm, I wanted to wow her with an impressive downtown lunch spot. I thought of Ric’s Grill, with the vaulted ceilings, original wooden support pillars and exposed brick walls of the Metals Building built in 1914.
Beyond the redwood booths and glass décor, the brick walls had been painted an inoffensive gray. I requested a glass of Zonte’s Footstep Shiraz Viognier ($11.15) and noted the emphasis given to steak options on the menu. I picked one.
I enjoyed the tart, lingering flavour of my wine, served oddly chilled. Our four triangles of plain baguette were layered with four distinct flavours of cheese, but the cheese bread ($7) was otherwise uninspiring.
When my entrée was delivered, I sampled both the adequate sautéed vegetables and dry basmati rice pilaf.
However, the luscious, tender 6 oz. filet mignon ($24) came through. Each bite of succulent beef was enhanced by the smoky bacon and combined beautifully with the persistent viognier.
An amaretto crème brulée ($8) was a smooth, sweet endnote to a satisfactory — but not exceptional — meal. There are places that do it better than Ric’s.
And the artist hasn’t talked to me since the meal.
Latest From ...
- New Facebook bug exposed private photos of 6.8 million, company saysAmerican student studying in The Netherlands stabbed to death by roommateEntertainment
- What you need to know about the CBS settlement with Eliza DushkuThe most-binged shows and watched movies on Netflix in 2018Lifestyle
- Style gift guide: Glam up your gift-giving this holiday seasonChristmas Cookie Challenge host shares his favorite holiday recipeSports
- 3 takeaways from Patriots Week 15 loss to Steelers
- New Facebook bug exposed private photos of 6.8 million, company saysAmerican student studying in The Netherlands stabbed to death by roommateFamilies of NYPD victims criticize mayor press sec's comments on 'fringe' activistsWhat you need to know about the CBS settlement with Eliza DushkuThe most-binged shows and watched movies on Netflix in 2018Scripted series about music legend Selena Quintanilla coming to NetflixStyle gift guide: Glam up your gift-giving this holiday seasonChristmas Cookie Challenge host shares his favorite holiday recipePhilly holiday gift guide: Where to shop locally for the perfect gifts