Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Officers to continue duty

The officers shown in a civilian video of alleged police brutality willremain on the job until proven guilty, the police chief said yesterday.


The officers shown in a civilian video of alleged police brutality will remain on the job until proven guilty, the police chief said yesterday.
Surveillance tapes handed over to the police department on Tuesday shows several officers allegedly using force on an unidentified man causing him to tumble down some stairs at an apartment at 115 7 Ave. SW on Feb 16.
Police Chief Rick Hanson said he reviewed the tapes and will not be making any decisions on suspending the officers until the investigation is completed.
“I viewed the videotape and in looking at it, it was clear that there are a number of unanswered questions and I've learned over many years of policing that you need both sides of the story,” Hanson said.
He said it would be premature to guess all the factors that went into the incident, and he believes an internal investigation launched by the professional standards unit will answer those questions.
But Aftab Hussain, who owns the Canadian Convenience and gift store under the apartment, has said police have been harassing and threatening him. He initially sent his surveillance tapes to media and it has since been included in the investigation.
“I’m scared. When it happened they told me to get rid of the video, they broke my doors, they kicked tenants out. This is not right,” Hussain alleged.
Hussain was charged last year for selling glass pipes crack addicts may use, but said it isn’t illegal and is before the courts.
“The police are not treating these people right and it’s harassment. They harass me too and sit outside my business and I might have to close.”
-krista.sylvester@metronews.ca

 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles