Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Officials can’t sniff out cause of fumes

Residents of a downtown Vancouver condo are living in limbo waiting to find out when their homes will be safe to return to after their building was overcome with toxic fumes — twice.

Residents of a downtown Vancouver condo are living in limbo waiting to find out when their homes will be safe to return to after their building was overcome with toxic fumes — twice.

The 21-storey Electra Building, formerly the B.C. Hydro building at Nelson and Burrard streets, was evacuated late Friday when smoke from a renovation project filled the structure.

Residents from nearly 250 units were allowed back in later that day, only to be asked to leave again Saturday when fumes resurfaced.

Capt. Gabe Roder, spokesperson for the Vancouver Fire Department, said investigators have detected high readings of hydrogen cyanide in the air at the building.

It’s believed the fumes were caused when a contractor replacing some tiles used chemical foam to raise concrete in the basement and noxious fumes filled the tower.

Authorities have not said how long residents will be kept out of their homes.

with files from the canadian press

 
 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles