Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Ontario not considering a coyote cull following string of 'rare' attacks on dogs

TORONTO - Ontario has no plans to cull coyotes after a series of attacks on dogs.

TORONTO - Ontario has no plans to cull coyotes after a series of attacks on dogs.

Natural Resources Minister Linda Jeffrey says there's no evidence that coyotes are posing any risk to people or that incidents involving pets are on the rise.

She says the case of a small dog snatched Monday while on a walk in the Rouge River ravine just east of Toronto is an isolated and rare incident.

Jeffrey says she understands it's upsetting to lose a pet, but adds that several incidents around Toronto and Ottawa are not enough to justify a cull.

It isn't unusual for coyotes to go into neighbourhoods toward the end of a season when there's less game for them to catch in conservation areas, Jeffrey says, especially as neighbourhoods infringe on their territory.

But she adds the government is willing to work with any municipality that has an issue and asks for help.

Police say the coyote in this week's attack struck while a 24-year-old woman was walking her two Pomeranians. The coyote made off into the woods with the smaller of the dogs.

Last February, a number of coyote sightings in the east end of Toronto sparked fear after a coyote killed a Chihuahua in its own backyard.

Multiple sightings of a lone coyote in a residential Ottawa neighbourhood earlier this year also had residents in that area concerned.

 
 
You Might Also Like