Open-Faced Croque Monsieur with Tomato
Prep time: 5 min.
Cooking: 15 min.
• 4 slices sourdough bread
• 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
• 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1 pinch nutmeg
• 1 1/4 cups milk
• 1 cup finely grated Emmenthal or Gruyere cheese
• 4 slices black forest ham
• 8 basil leaves
• 4 small tomatoes, sliced
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Apple Emoji update includes a llama, skateboard and some bagel drama 24 Pictures
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2. Arrange bread in a single layer on a rimmed sheet pan and toast in oven, flipping once, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat, keep toast on sheet pan and set aside. Preheat broiler to high.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan set over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and nutmeg and stir with a wooden spoon for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 2 minutes. Add ½ cup cheese, stir well and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread a thin layer of cheese sauce (about 1 tablespoon) over each slice of toast.
- 4. Cover with a slice of ham, followed by another even layer (about 3 tablespoons) of cheese sauce. Arrange basil and tomato slices on top of cheese sauce, season tomatoes with salt and pepper and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- 5. Place under broiler, 6 inches from heat and cook until sauce is bubbling and cheese is golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.20minutesupperclub.com