Now that peach season is in full swing, try pairing a few of the luscious orbs with grilled chicken enhanced with slices of soft brie.
Peach-stuffed Grilled Chicken Breast
Prep time: 15 min.
Cooking: 15 min.
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) water
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) sugar
• 10 ml (2 tsp) each cassia, cardamom and star anise
• 5 peaches, washed and peeled (slice 4 and dice 1)
• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
• 8 basil leaves, washed
• 125 g (4 oz) brie, cut into 4 slices
• 4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
• Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• You can substitute cinnamon or nutmeg for the cassia and ground ginger can replace the cardamom.
1. In a small saucepan over high heat, combine water and sugar. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 minute. Add cassia, cardamom, star anise and sliced peaches; bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, remove spices and then puree mixture in blender until smooth. Stir in diced peach and set aside.
2. Place chicken breasts on a clean work surface. Using a sharp knife and focusing on one breast at a time, cut a 7.5-cm (3-inch) slit horizontally into one side of the chicken breast to form a pocket. Spread about 30 ml (2 tbsp) of the puree mixture in the pocket of each breast. Then stuff each breast with 2 basil leaves and a piece of brie. In horizontal and weaving fashion, secure each breast with one skewer, then season with salt and pepper.
3. Place chicken on preheated grill and cook for 6 minutes on each side or until internal temperature registers 74 C (165 F). Remove from grill and let rest for 2 minutes before serving with the rest of the peach puree and your favourite summer-inspired garden salad.