• 2 tbsp (25 ml) mixed or black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
• 4 beef tenderloin steaks, 3/4-in. (2 cm) thick, trimmed
• 1 tsp (5 ml) extra virgin olive oil
• chopped parsley or snipped fresh chives to garnish
• Leek and mustard mashed potatoes:
• 2 lbs (900 g) potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
• 2 tsp (10 ml) extra virgin olive oil
• 200 g leeks, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) low-fat milk
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) whole-grain mustard
• 1 1/2 tbsp (25 ml) reduced-salt margarine
• pepper to taste
1. Place potatoes in pot and pour over boiling water to cover by 2 in. (5 cm). Bring back to boil, then reduce heat and cook for 15–20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
2. Meanwhile, spread crushed peppercorns on plate and press steaks into them until coated with peppercorns on all sides.
3. Heat oil for mashed potatoes in nonstick frying pan. Add leeks and cook, stirring constantly 3–5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to plate lined with two layers of paper towel to drain. Heat milk in pot until hot.
4. When potatoes are tender, drain them, shaking colander or sieve to remove any excess water, and return to pan. Pour hot milk over potatoes; mash until completely smooth. Add leeks, mustard and margarine, and season with pepper. Beat well to mix, then cover and keep warm.
5. Heat ridged cast-iron broil pan over high heat until hot. Brush pan with olive oil, then reduce heat to medium-high. Place steaks in pan and cook 3 minutes per side for rare, 3 1/2 minutes per side for medium-rare, 4 minutes per side for medium, 5 minutes per side for well done.
6. Mound potatoes on each warmed plate and place steak next to it. Drizzle pan juices over steaks and sprinkle with parsley or chives. Serve immediately.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Latest From ...
- New Facebook bug exposed private photos of 6.8 million, company saysAmerican student studying in The Netherlands stabbed to death by roommateEntertainment
- What you need to know about the CBS settlement with Eliza DushkuThe most-binged shows and watched movies on Netflix in 2018Lifestyle
- Foodie gift guide: 7 gifts for the food lover on your listChristmas Cookie Challenge host shares his favorite holiday recipeSports
- 3 takeaways from Patriots Week 15 loss to Steelers
- New Facebook bug exposed private photos of 6.8 million, company saysAmerican student studying in The Netherlands stabbed to death by roommateFamilies of NYPD victims criticize mayor press sec's comments on 'fringe' activistsWhat you need to know about the CBS settlement with Eliza DushkuThe most-binged shows and watched movies on Netflix in 2018Scripted series about music legend Selena Quintanilla coming to NetflixFoodie gift guide: 7 gifts for the food lover on your listChristmas Cookie Challenge host shares his favorite holiday recipePhilly holiday gift guide: Where to shop locally for the perfect gifts