• 2 tbsp (25 ml) vegetable oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 red peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
• 2 yellow peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
• 6 oz (175 g) sugar snap peas
• 1 lb (500 g) firm white fish fillet, skinned and cut into 1 ½-in. (4 cm) chunks
• 1 lemon, zest grated and juiced
• 2 tsp (10 ml) mixed peppercorns, coarsely crushed
• 1/4 cups (300 ml) frozen peas, thawed
• 1/4 cups (300 ml) bean sprouts
• Small bunch fresh basil, finely shredded
1. Heat wok or large frying pan over high heat and add 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil. Add onion and stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in peppers and sugar snap peas; continue stir-frying 3–5 minutes until vegetables are tender but still crisp. Transfer vegetables to plate using slotted spoon and keep in warm place.
2. Add remaining oil to wok and heat, then add fish and stir-fry over gentle heat 4 minutes (carefully turning chunks so as not to break them up) until fish is cooked through and flakes easily when tested with point of knife.
3. Add lemon zest, lemon juice and crushed peppercorns to wok. Return stir-fried vegetables to wok together with peas and bean sprouts. Heat through, stirring, 2–3 minutes. Scatter basil over top and serve at once.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Peppered Fish with Lemon and Basil