• 1 lb (500 g) potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
• 3/4 lb (375 g) skinless firm white fish fillets
• 6 3/4 tbsp (100 ml) 1 per cent milk
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 3 scallions, finely chopped
• finely grated zest of 1 lemon
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) pre-made pesto
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) plain flour
• 1 cup (250 ml) fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) grated parmesan
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 8 small tomatoes, halved
• sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley to garnish
1. Cook potatoes in pot of boiling water until tender, 15 minutes.
2. Put fish in deep non-stick frying pan with milk and seasoning. Bring almost to boiling, then reduce heat, cover and poach until flakes when tested with a fork, 5 minutes. Remove fish and flake flesh, discarding bones. Reserve milk.
3. Drain potatoes and mash. Add fish to potatoes with scallions, lemon zest, pesto and 1 1/2 tbsp (20 ml) poaching milk for soft mixture. Season to taste. Allow mixture to cool.
4. Shape fish mixture into eight thick flat cakes and dust all over with flour. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan on plate. Coat fish cakes in beaten egg and then crumbs. Chill until ready to cook.
5. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Place the fish cakes on non-stick baking tray with halved tomatoes. Bake 20 minutes. Serve garnished with parsley.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Most Popular From ...