• Oil for greasing
• 2 whole-wheat pita breads
• 3 tbsp (45 ml) ketchup
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Tabasco sauce
• 2oz (55 g) each of Mozzarella, mature Cheddar, and Pont-l’Évêque, Chaumes or Oka cheese
• 1 medium red onion
• 2 medium tomatoes
• 1/2 large red or green pepper
• 1 clove garlic
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
• 4 black olives
• A few sprigs each of fresh marjoram and basil,
• 2 tsp (10 ml) Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly oil baking sheet. Open pitas and split in half with sharp knife.
2. Mix ketchup with Tabasco sauce. Spread some on each pita half and arrange on baking sheet.
3. Grate Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese together and sprinkle over pitas.
4. Slice or dice Pont-l’Évêque, Chaumes or Oka cheese and spread evenly over grated cheese.
5. Peel onion and slice into thin wedges. Rinse and dry tomatoes and pepper. Slice tomato into rounds. Deseed and finely chop pepper. Arrange onion and tomatoes on top of cheese and scatter with chopped pepper.
6. Peel and crush garlic, mix with olive oil and drizzle over pizzas. Place one olive in centre of each and bake on top shelf of oven for 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, rinse and dry herbs, strip off leaves and put into bowl. Add Parmesan and mix.
8. Remove pitas from oven, sprinkle with herbs and Parmesan mixture, and serve hot.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca