Edmontonians still grieving the loss of seven city-based soldiers in recent weeks can expect the opportunity to pay their respects during a service at the Edmonton Garrison in the next four to six weeks.
The public service will also include a welcome-home ceremony for soldiers arriving back from Afghanistan.
“The families of the soldiers are already going through the grieving process,” said Cpl. Fraser Logan, public affairs officer with the Edmonton Garrison.
“This is something that we want to put together for the community.”
Logan said organizers are still in the planning stages for the event. He expects it will be held in August or early September.
Four of the six soldiers killed by a roadside bomb last week were from the Edmonton Garrison, including Cpl. Matthew Dawe, who was leading his team when he was killed by the blast. And tributes will also be made to fallen soldiers Cpl. Stephen Bouzane, Sgt. Christos Karigiannis, and Pte. Joel Wiebe, who were killed by a roadside bomb June 20.