Pupil questions his degree

<p>Jill, would you say it’s necessary I finish my current business program if my goal is to have my own business?</p>


Q: Jill, would you say it’s necessary I finish my current business program if my goal is to have my own business? It just seems as though every day you hear of some celebrity who didn’t finish school, but is still sitting on top of the world. I feel I could be learning more outside of class. What should I do?



A: You are right, we are inundated with stories of celebrities who appear to have made it overnight. Some of them don’t even have business backgrounds, but they’ve got multi-million dollar clothing lines or production companies. No wonder we all think we should just burn our degrees, hop on the train of hope and get off at glory. The truth is even though many celebs are the faces of these brands, they have people with degrees and business experience advising them.


I would suggest you weigh your options first. Your idea had better be really good if you’ve got faith that it’s going to be successful and your lack of credentials will not stand in your way.

Try to establish a mentoring relationship, create a business plan, and see if you can get funding first.

You don’t have to have a business degree to have a successful business. However, since many businesses fail — if they are going to fail — within the first seven years, having the theoretical and strategic knowledge gained from a degree might help with crucial decisions along the way.

Q: I am thinking about starting a babysitting centre from my home and wanted to know what I need to do this legally.

A: Terri, I’m definitely glad you are thinking about this. Too many people take the risk of doing this without following ministry guidelines and they don’t realize the consequences they will face should anything happen to those children while under their care.

Your business must be licensed by the Ministry of Children and Youth Services. According to the Day Nurseries Act, a caregiver with more than five children in their home must be licensed as a regulated home care provider with the Ministry.

Start your research with the Ministry by visiting www.children.gov.on.caor by calling 416-325-5666.

Also visit the Government of Canada’s business site at www.canadabusiness.ca.


Jill Andrew CYW, BA (Hons.), BEd, MA '08 is an award-winning journalist and educator with additional expertise in the performing arts, public speaking, PR, media literacy/awareness, fundraising and entrepreneurship.


, or



Jill’s tip of the week

  • The holiday season is here and everyone is bringing tasty treats into the office. Be sure to confirm any food or beverage allergies first.

Latest From ...
Most Popular From ...