Freak accidents happen all too often, but some stories are so horrifying, they’re difficult to believe.
Today’s crazy news comes from New Brunswick, Canada, where two young boys were found strangled by a snake that escaped from an exotic pet store located beneath the apartment where they were staying.
According to police, the snake, an African rock python, escaped its cage at the Reptile Ocean store and got into the ventilation system. It then made its way to the upstairs apartment, where the young boys were sleeping over with the son of the store’s owner, Jean-Claude Savoie. The boys, Connor and Noah Barthe, were brothers aged 5 and 7 years old. Autopsies for the boys are scheduled for Tuesday.
Savoie found the boys strangled when he went to check on the children in the morning, he told Global News.
“My body is in shock. I don’t know what to think,” he said. “I thought they were sleeping until I saw the hole in the ceiling. I turned the lights on and I [saw] this horrific scene.”
According to a statement by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the snake has been captured and is in police possession.
According to the National Post, African rock pythons are known to kill humans. They can get up to 16 feet long.
“It’s very rare that pythons kill humans, but not unheard of. It occasionally happens if the circumstances are just right. Oftentimes, it’s just kind of a perfect storm where you get a big hungry snake in close proximity to humans,” Ian Recchio, curator of reptiles and amphibians at the Los Angeles Zoo told National Geographic. “But humans are not normally part of these snakes’ natural prey.”
He later stated that an African rock python is the type of snake that is known to kill people.
Follow Mary Ann Georgantopoulos on Twitter @marygeorgant