- 3/4 lb (375 g) pre-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) ham, sliced medium-thick and cut into small pieces
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) 1% milk
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) whipping cream
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) extra-mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1. If time allows, leave pastry, still wrapped, at room temperature for 20 minutes (this makes it easier to unroll without cracking). Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C), and put baking sheet inside to heat. Lift roll of pastry over 8-in. (20-cm) flan pan and gently unroll. Carefully press pastry onto base and sides of pan. Neatly trim overhanging pastry with sharp knife. Use baking parchment to line pastry base roughly and cover with baking beans or scrunched up foil. Put on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans or foil and bake for further 5 minutes.
- 2. While pastry is baking, mix ham with onions. Break eggs into bowl with milk, cream and seasoning. Whisk lightly.
- 3. Sprinkle half the cheese over base of pastry case, then top with onion and ham. Scatter remaining cheese on top. Return flan to baking sheet and pour egg mixture over filling. Bake 30 minutes or until golden and just firm to touch.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca