Red and Yellow Bell Pepper Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 28 minutes
This soup is so elegant and dramatic, yet simple to prepare. For a more intense flavor, add the cilantro before pureeing. To save time, purchase roasted peppers in a jar (just make sure they’re packed in water).
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 1 ¼ cups chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups peeled diced potato
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted
- 2 yellow bell peppers, roasted
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, dill or basil
1. Spray a non-stick saucepan with cooking oil, add the vegetable oil and place over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 8 minutes or until the vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the stock and potato. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
3. Purée the red peppers in a food processor until smooth. Add half the soup mixture and process until smooth. Season with black pepper and pour into a serving bowl.
4. Rinse out the food processor. Purée the yellow peppers until smooth. Add the remaining soup to the yellow pepper purée and process until smooth. Season with black pepper and pour into another serving bowl.
5. To serve, ladle some of the red pepper soup into one side of an individual serving bowl while, at the same time, ladling some of the yellow pepper soup into the other side of the bowl. Garnish with a sprinkle of cilantro.
Nutritional Analysis per Serving Calories 99; Protein 3 g; Fat 2 g; Saturated Fat 0.2 g; Carbohydrates 19 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 175 mg; Fiber 3 g