The garnishes for this soup make it a real Tex-Mex favorite, as well as a beautiful-looking soup. It’s a great starter to a main course of fajitas, burritos or quesadillas. I buy flavoured tortillas in bulk and freeze them. To defrost, place the entire package in the microwave and heat on high for 30 seconds, or just until you can break away the number you need. Refreeze the remainder. The different colours add interest to any meal.
Tortilla, Sautéed Corn and Plum Tomato Soup
Prep time: 20 min.
Cooking: 22 min.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- Here's what it's like to fish for your dinner at Zauo NYC (photos) 21 Pictures
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 3/4 cup canned corn kernels, drained
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp basmati rice
- 1 tsp hot chili paste
- 1 cup diced plum tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup thinly sliced flavoured flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- Spray a non-stick saucepan with cooking oil, add the vegetable oil and place over medium heat. Cook the onion, green pepper and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden. Stir in the corn and cook for 5 minutes, or until the corn begins to brown.
- Stir in the stock, black beans, rice and chili paste. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 12 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cornstarch (dissolved in 1 Tbsp of water) and salt and pepper.
Simmer for 2 minutes until slightly thickened. Ladle the soup into individual bowls and garnish each serving with tortilla strips, fresh herbs and sour cream.