This rustic and hearty soup with potatoes and wild mushrooms is a quick and delicious
autumn dish to warm tummies on a cool evening.
Rustic Mushroom and Potato Soup
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
• 1 onion, chopped
• 500 g (1 lb) wild mushrooms (such as shiitake or oyster), thinly sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh sage or thyme or 5 ml (1 tsp) dried
• 1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt and pepper
• 1 bag (750 g) frozen potato chunks
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) dry white wine
• 1.25 l (5 cups) vegetable or chicken broth
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) chopped fresh parsley
• 5 ml (1 tsp) hot pepper sauce
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) shredded Asiago cheese (optional)
1. In a soup pot or large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat and cook onion, mushrooms, garlic, sage, salt and pepper for about 10 minutes or until it is beginning to become golden and onion is softened.
2. Add frozen potatoes to pot and stir to coat with mixture. Add wine; stir and cook until wine has evaporated. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or
until potatoes are very tender. Stir in parsley and hot pepper
3. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with cheese, if using. Makes 6 to 8 servings.