Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

School officials seek culprit in small fire

School officials are trying to determine who is responsible for causinga fire Thursday morning that led to the evacuation of CobequidEducational Centre.

School officials are trying to determine who is responsible for causing a fire Thursday morning that led to the evacuation of Cobequid Educational Centre.

Chignecto-Central Regional School Board spokeswoman Carolyn Pierce said someone put paper into a radiator in a stairwell on the Colchester Legion Stadium side of the school. It caused a small fire around 11:30 a.m.

“The school is still investigating,” she said. “They are looking at security cameras and talking with students and teachers.”

Under the board’s code of conduct policy, a student responsible for a major disruption to operations or to the safety of the school would receive a five-day suspension and a conference with the parent/guardian and student. It could also be referred to the police for further investigation.

Firefighters responded to the school, put out the fire and cleared the smoke. Students were evacuated to the stadium and the school board gymnasium.

The fire was contained mostly to the stairwell and school officials were surveying the damage.