A number of programs for seniors will have their funding cut by the end of September, according to termination notices sent out earlier this month by the provincial government.

The Langley Seniors Centre will lose $86,000 in funding and with it the centre’s senior outreach program services.

Those services will end on Sept. 30, said Siliva Fassler, that program’s director.

“(The outreach program) provides services (for seniors) to stay independent in their own homes as long as possible,” said Fassler.

Those services include shop by phone and transportation assistance.

NDP health critic Adrian Dix said that the cuts could prove to be expensive in the long run.

“What they’re doing is increasing health-care costs by driving seniors into long-term care and acute care prematurely,” he said.

The cuts were detailed in a leaked Fraser Health Authority document recently released by the NDP.