Sentencing delayed in MacIntosh case
Sentencing for a former Nova Scotia businessman for sex-relatedoffences involving boys in the 1970s has been delayed until Sept. 28after a hearing in court in Port Hawkesbury yesterday.
Sentencing for a former Nova Scotia businessman for sex-related offences involving boys in the 1970s has been delayed until Sept. 28 after a hearing in court in Port Hawkesbury yesterday.
Ernest Fenwick MacIntosh was found guilty earlier this summer on 13 of 26 charges of gross indecency and indecent assault.
His lawyer, Brian Casey, said the hearing was put off until a doctor who wrote a sexual behaviour assessment can testify.
At trial in July, the victims testified the abuse occurred in MacIntosh’s vehicles and other locations prior to 1974 when he lived in Cape Breton.
In court, Casey submitted three pictures into evidence he said show his client after he was allegedly assaulted by another prisoner in a sheriff’s van on his way to the Burnside jail after an appeal court hearing last month.
Casey said he will raise what happened in sentencing.
“And one of our submissions is going to be that the treatment he has received in custody is a factor to be taken into account on sentencing,” he said.
MacIntosh, who has been remanded back into custody, looked quite different yesterday than he did during his previous court appearances. He wasn’t wearing his glasses and Casey told reporters MacIntosh’s suit and shirt were badly damaged when he was assaulted by the prisoner last month.
– with files from the Cape Breton Post