Shelter closes for fire victims

The Canadian Red Cross closed its emergency shelter yesterday afternoonfor residents from a Dartmouth apartment building that caught fire lastThursday night.

The Canadian Red Cross closed its emergency shelter yesterday afternoon for residents from a Dartmouth apartment building that caught fire last Thursday night.

The Red Cross issued a release saying the remaining residents who were using the shelter have, or are in the process of obtaining, another place to live. The process was made easier, it says, through the help from the building’s property management and other landlords in the area.

An overblown extension cord is to blame for the fire at 50 Roleika Dr. On Monday, residents learned only about 25 apartments could be safely reoccupied in the 74-unit building that was housing close to 100 people.