Almost a year since commissionaire found dead

Approaching a year since an Ottawa commissionaire was found dead inside his home, the lead investigator says police have yet to identify a clear motive, suspects or any witnesses in the case.

Despite the release of security camera images of people police want to talk to in relation to the case, the investigation into Paul-André Simard’s death is ongoing, said Ottawa Police Detective Dan Simser.


Simard, 63, was discovered dead in his home on April 3, 2007, with his hands bound behind him and with duct tape over his eyes.

"This is one of those investigations," said Simser. "It’s difficult because it occurred within the home and we can only speculate as to what occurred. There are a number of days that we’re trying to account for in Mr. Simard’s life."

Last year, police released security camera images from several Home Depot stores in Ottawa. Simser said identifying the people in those photos is a key step in the investigation. None have been identified to date.

The photographs can be viewed at, under the Major Crime section.

There are other aspects of the investigation that are ongoing that Simser wouldn’t comment on, to protect the integrity of the case.

What police know of the victim, Simser said, is that he was "a very hardworking individual and his life consisted of working around his home and working for the commissionaires.

"He was very dedicated to his job and was available at a moment’s notice. That was his life."

Although Simser wouldn’t comment on the autopsy results or the date of death, media reports indicated that Simard was found on his stomach, with a pool of dried blood around his mouth, with his hands bound and his eyes taped shut.

"We’ve been fortunate in Ottawa that we don’t have a lot of unsolved homicides, but homicide units everywhere encounter similar investigations that are more difficult to solve."

failed to arrive

  • Simard had few associates outside of work, said Det. Dan Simser. His body was discovered when a colleague visited his home to see why he had not come to work.