Grilling season isn't over yet and these inside out sirloin bacon cheeseburgers would be a tasty treat during an autumn weekend.
The cheese is taken underground for easier grill management.
Makes 6 servings
• 500 g (1 lb) lean ground beef sirloin
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) shredded aged cheddar cheese
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) diced bacon (uncooked)
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) bread-crumbs
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) minced onions
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) worcestershire Sauce
• 5 ml (1 tsp) minced fresh rosemary
1. In a bowl, combine beef, egg, garlic, cheese, bacon, breadcrumbs, onion, Worcestershire Sauce and rosemary.
2. Divide meat into 6 portions. Form into 2-cm (3/4-inch) thick patties. Make a thumb-print depression in centre of each patty (to prevent rounding while they grill). Make ahead: Refrigerate, covered for 1 hour or up to 1 day.
3. Grill over medium heat on preheated, oiled grill for 5 to 7 minutes per side, testing doneness with a digital instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into centre of each patty to ensure patties are cooked to 71 C (160 F). Top with melted mushrooms and onions (if desired).
1. Combine 1 sweet onion (such as vidalia), sliced, 500 ml (2 cups) sliced mushrooms and 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste; cook, stirring occasionally in non-stick skillet over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are golden and tender. Stir in 30 ml (2 tbsp) steak sauce, heat through.