• 50 ml (1/4 cup) fresh lime juice
• 5 ml (1 tsp) chili powder
• 4 ml (3/4 tsp) oregano
• 4 ml (3/4 tsp) ground coriander
• 1 ml (1/4 tsp) black pepper
• 375 g (12 oz) well-trimmed beef sirloin
• 2 large onions, thickly sliced
• 2 large red peppers, cut lengthwise into flat panels
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) minced cilantro
• 4 flour tortillas, about 18 cm (7 in.) each
• 1 l (4 cups) shredded romaine lettuce
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) sour cream
1. Combine lime juice, chili powder, oregano, coriander and black pepper in medium bowl.
2. Place beef in shallow bowl and spoon 2 tbsp lime mixture on top; turn to coat both sides. Let stand while broiling vegetables.
3. Preheat broiler. Spray broiler pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place onions and pepper pieces, skin-side up, on broiler pan. Broil 10 cm (4 inches) from heat until peppers are charred and onions are golden brown, 10 minutes. Remove, and when cool enough to handle, peel pepper and thickly slice. Add peppers and onions to lime juice mixture in bowl. Add cilantro and toss.
4. Broil beef to medium, eight minutes, turning once. Let stand five minutes, then thinly slice. Broil tortillas until lightly browned, 15 seconds per side.
5. Place beef, peppers, onions, lettuce, sour cream and tortillas in serving containers. Let each person fill his or her own tortilla.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Sizzling Beef Fajitas