• 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
• 1 green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
• 14 oz (398 ml) can chopped tomatoes
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili sauce, or to taste
• 2 tsp (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tsp (10 ml) cider vinegar
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 4 buns, split and toasted
• 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
• 5 1/3 cups white cabbage, finely shredded
• 1 1/2 tbsp (20 ml) olive oil
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) cider vinegar
1. Put meat in large non-stick frying pan over moderate heat and cook 4–5 minutes. Break up meat with wooden spatula. When meat is no longer pink, add onion, celery and green pepper. Cook 5 minutes until vegetables are softened.
2. Add tomatoes, chili sauce to taste, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and black pepper. Cook 15–20 minutes, stirring often, until flavours are blended.
3. Meanwhile, make coleslaw: Mix together carrot and cabbage in large bowl. Sprinkle with oil and vinegar and toss together.
4. Put bottoms of toasted buns onto four plates and spoon meat mixture on top. Pile on coleslaw and cover with tops of buns. Serve immediately.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
- There's fanfic at The Met and it's all because of the Tale of Genji21 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures