• 1 each red and yellow pepper, seeded and quartered
• 10 oz (300 g) penne rigati or other pasta shapes
• 10 oz (300 g) smoked trout fillets
• 1 orange
• 1 large avocado
• 2 green onions, sliced
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) capers, well drained
• 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) arugula
• 5 tbsp (75 ml) plain low-fat yogourt
• 2 tbsp (10 ml) lemon juice
• 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) chopped fresh dill
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) white sugar
• Pepper to taste
1. Preheat broiler. Place peppers on broiler rack, skin-side up, and broil until skins are blistered and blackened. Remove from broiler and place in plastic bag. Seal and set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to boil and add pasta. Cook according to package instructions until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain well again. Transfer pasta to large salad bowl.
3. Flake trout fillets into bite-sized pieces, discarding skin and bones. Cut all skin and pith from orange and cut out segments from between membranes. Halve segments. Halve, pit and peel avocado, then cut into small chunks. Mix dressing ingredients and season with pepper.
4. Peel peppers and cut into strips. Add peppers to pasta together with trout, orange, avocado, green onions and capers. Add dressing and toss gently but thoroughly. Just before serving, toss in arugula.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca