• 8 small-sized eggs
• 1 3/4 oz (50 g) watercress
• 4 tbsp (60 mL) mayonnaise
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
• 8 thick slices rye bread
• 3 skinless smoked trout fillets, about 2 2/3 oz (75 g) each, flaked
1. Simmer eggs in boiling water 1 1/2–2 minutes, depending on whether you prefer them slightly soft or medium boiled. Plunge into cold water and leave to cool.
2. While eggs are cooking, set aside a few watercress sprigs for garnishing, then roughly chop rest, discarding any very thick stems. Mix chopped watercress, mayonnaise and lemon juice together.
3. Spread watercress mixture evenly over one side of each slice of rye bread, then top with flakes of smoked trout. Carefully peel shells off eggs, then cut each in half and arrange two egg halves on top of each open sandwich. Season with ground black pepper and garnish with reserved sprigs of watercress.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Smoked Trout and Watercress Open Sandwich