A startling and not-so-smart online trend has some unpleasant side effects that include, but are not limited to, nasal maggots.
It turns out young YouTubers have taken tocrushing up Smarties candyand snorting it through a straw.
The phenomenon has apparently caused concern among school officials.
A middle school in Portsmouth, R.I., recently sent a note to parents warning of the dangers of snorting or smoking sugar candy, according to WPRI.
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures
Some potential medical issues of snorting the candy include nasal scarring, infection, lung irritation, allergic reaction or possible maggots.