Brits Fish & Chips
6940 — 77 St.
Rating: *** 1/2
Dinner for two with drinks: $50
Signature Dish: Two-piece Cod Full Meal Deal ($15.40)
Signature Drink: Fuller’s London Pride Ale ($7.50)
Don’t go expecting anything but the best fish and chips in Edmonton: if it ain’t deep fried, Brit’s Fish & Chips ain’t interested.
We decided on a cod Family Special ($51.70) to feed our growing clan. Our side dishes were delivered almost immediately, and I had my first experience with mushy peas.
They look exactly like they sound, but their green flavour was delightful. Between tastes, I tried my imported Abbotts Ginger Beer ($3.20). I enjoyed the sharp, almost spicy flavour, but the combination of ginger and carbonation was a stab at my sinuses with every sip!
The rest of our order arrived quickly — deep frying being no slow process — and my arteries clanged shut.
A bottom layer of fries hid beneath eight battered cod strips, crowned with a heap of onion rings. I fired ketchup onto my plate with my left hand, tartar sauce with my right, and dug in.
Light, crisp batter with only a hint of oiliness accompanied every mouthful. It was a crunchy, messy pleasure to carve our way into the daunting heap of food!
We ended up taking almost half home with us for another full meal. We didn’t even linger for the tempting dessert menu. However, maybe next time, I’ll try to sneak a deep fried Mars bar…
MOMS Who is offering Mother’s Day extravaganzas? OpenTable.com features a host of restaurant specials available for brunch, lunch or dinner — the added benefit is that you can book a table right there.
WINE WEDNESDAYS Some of the terrific places to take Mom include Culina Highlands’ three-course, $35 prix fixe dinner, Sabor Divino’s Family-Style dinner with a free Bellini for Mom, or a $17 brunch duet at one of L’Azia’s two locations.
FOOD BANK Canadian Progress Club is organizing Canstruction 2010 — a design and build competition of giant sculptures using canned foods — at Southgate Centre. The cans are given to Edmonton’s Food Bank. Starting Saturday until May 23, bring a Food Bank donation. For more info go to: www.canstructionedmonton.com.
BIG BROTHERS Little Brothers and Sisters will be at select COBS bakeries in Edmonton until May 12 to help sell scones and chat with customers about the organization. Fifty cents from the sale of every scone will be donated to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton agency.
Brits Fish & Chips
Latest From ...
- Singer Mariah Carey sues former executive assistantRally at Sony Music HQ calls on RCA Records to drop R. KellyEntertainment
- Why is Rihanna suing her father?Everything you need to know about the 2019 Grammy AwardsLifestyle
- Apple's Live Listen feature can let you hear conversations from a distanceHow your slow cooker saves you moneySports
- Le'Veon Bell NFL rumors: Jets, Eagles latest
- Singer Mariah Carey sues former executive assistantRally at Sony Music HQ calls on RCA Records to drop R. KellyFace value: One-time Afghan wedding singer a ringer for Canada's TrudeauWhy is Rihanna suing her father?Everything you need to know about the 2019 Grammy AwardsWill there be a Deadly Class season 2? Here's what we knowApple's Live Listen feature can let you hear conversations from a distance