From yummy snacks, food to impress and quick desserts, The Vegetarian Student Cookbook is a must for hungry students short on time and money.
You’re finally heading out into the exciting world of student life and the prospect of cooking up a vegetarian storm seems very daunting, but don’t panic.
Spaghetti with Butternut Squash, Sage and Pecorino
• 14 oz. dried spaghetti
• ¼ cup olive oil
• 14 oz. butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into thin wedges
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• freshly chopped parsley
• ½ cup Pecorino, grated or shaved
• 10–12 small fresh sage leaves
• salt and black pepper
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add a pinch of salt. Drop in the pasta and cook according to the instructions on the packet.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add the squash and cook for 5–6 minutes, turning often, until golden but not breaking up. Add the garlic and sage to the pan and cook for 2–3 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to sit to allow the flavours to develop.
3. Drain the pasta well and return to the warm pan with the squash mixture.
4. Add the parsley and half of the Pecorino and season well with salt and pepper. Serve with the remaining cheese sprinkled over the top. Makes four servings.