- 2 tbsp (25 ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 can (14 oz /398 ml) chopped tomatoes
- 12 oz (375 g) spaghetti
- 2 x 14-oz (398-ml) cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) tobasco sauce
- 2 cups (500 ml) baby spinach leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (75 ml) pecorino Romano cheese
1. Heat olive oil in heavy pot, add onion and garlic, then cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Add celery and sauté, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes with their juice and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 15 minutes.
3. Cook spaghetti in large pot of boiling water according to package instructions.
4. When sauce is cooked, stir in chickpeas and Tabasco. Add spinach and simmer, stirring, until spinach wilts, 1 minute. Season with salt and
5. Drain spaghetti and toss with chickpeas and tomato sauce. Serve immediately, sprinkled with cheese.Serves
For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to rd.ca or check out Key Ingredients in this month's Reader's Digest, on newsstands now!