This Spicy Tofu and Bok Choy dish is tasty on its own or served over a bed of rice or noodles. You can chop the tofu after it’s been fried and chop the bok choy after steaming for a more traditional stir fry if desired.
Spicy Tofu and Bok Choy
- PHOTOS: Filipino devotees nailed to crosses to re-enact crucifixion4 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Memorial spotlights the man behind Nipsey Hussle rap persona14 Pictures
- Half pkg (350 g) extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 baby bok choy
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Asian garlic chili paste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) smooth peanut butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped peanuts (optional)
1. Slice tofu lengthwise into 4 slices and pat with paper towel. In shallow dish, combine flour and sesame seeds. Brush tofu with sesame oil lightly, reserving remaining and coat tofu in flour mixture on both sides.
2. In a non-stick skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat and fry tofu for about 8 minutes, turning once. Remove to paper towel lined plate; set aside. Wipe out skillet.
3. Return skillet to medium heat and add reserved sesame oil. Add bok choy, ginger, garlic and chili paste and cook, stirring gently for 2 minutes. Cover and steam for about 3 minutes or until tender crisp. Uncover and remove bok choy to plate with tofu. Add water, soy sauce and rice vinegar to skillet and bring to boil. Whisk in peanut butter until smooth. Return bok choy and tofu to sauce and stir to coat in sauce. Serve sprinkled with peanuts if using.