• 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 red or green pepper, finely chopped
• 7 oz (200 g) tomatoes, chopped
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
• 2/3 cup (150 mL) beef stock
• Tabasco sauce, to taste
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh basil or coriander
• 4 large whole-wheat rolls
• Shredded lettuce and chili sauce, to serve
1. Heat large, heavy-based pot, then add ground beef and onion. Fry over medium heat 7 minutes or until browned all over, stirring occasionally to break up lumps. Add pepper and tomatoes, and cook for 3 minutes, then sprinkle over flour.
2. Stir tomato paste into stock, then add Tabasco sauce and basil or coriander. Stir 2/3 cup (150 mL) stock into meat mixture. Bring to boil, then reduce heat, cover and cook gently 10 minutes. Add extra stock if needed; season.
3. Split rolls in half and toast lightly. Put some shredded lettuce on base of each roll and spoon meat sauce on top. Each person can add chili sauce to taste.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca