Easy and breezy! Tapas-style shrimp skewers will make an excellent addition to your summertime outdoor party menu. To achieve optimum flavours and reduce preparation time, marinate shrimp overnight.
This recipe was created by Chef John Cirillo, who has twice been recognized as Toronto Chef of the Year (1998 and 2003) by the Escoffier Society. He runs a cooking academy and the restaurant Oregano by Cirillo’s in west-end Toronto.
Spicy Garlic Lemon Shrimp
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried crushed chili
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cumin
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) paprika
• 1/2 lemon, juiced
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley
• 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) sherry
• 12 jumbo tiger shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 6 bamboo skewers, soaked
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a medium bowl, add oil, garlic, chili, cumin, paprika, lemon juice, parsley and sherry and mix to combine. Add shrimp to marinade and toss to coat. Cover and place in fridge for 30 minutes or up to one day.
2. Thread 2 shrimp onto each skewer and season with salt and pepper. Heat barbecue to high, then place shrimp skewers on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Once fully cooked, remove shrimp skewers from heat and serve