- 3 tbsp (45 ml) canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion
- 2 fresh red or green chili peppers
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- Small bunch of cilantro
- 1 lb (450 g) ground pork
- 1 small egg
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 lemon or lime
- 1 large avocado
1. Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil in small frying pan. Peel and crush 1 clove of garlic, peel and finely chop onion, add to pan and fry until soft.
2. Rinse and finely chop fresh chili peppers, including seeds. Set half aside for guacamole and add remainder to onion. Stir in spices and fry gently 3 minutes, or until mixture is soft but not browned.
3. Rinse, dry and roughly chop enough cilantro leaves to give 2 tbsp (25 ml) and add half to reserved chili peppers. Put rest of chopped coriander into large bowl and add fried onion mixture, pork, egg, salt and pepper. Wash wax from lemon or lime, finely grate rind into bowl and stir mixture, which should be slightly soft.
4. Heat remaining oil in large frying pan. Divide mixture into four and pat each piece into fairly flat burger. Fry over moderate heat 5–6 minutes per side, until cooked through.
5. For guacamole, squeeze juice from half lemon or lime and put into bowl with reserved chili peppers. Peel remaining garlic clove and crush into bowl. Halve and pit avocado, and scoop flesh into bowl.?Season, then mash together well.
6. Drain burgers on paper towels and serve with guacamole and corn chips or soft tortillas.Serves
4For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to rd.ca or check out Key Ingredients in this month’s Reader’s Digest, on newsstands now!